Friday, October 23, 2009

Life After Death ...


You would think that being born into a family that serves our Creator God would give you an advantage.  Perhaps the children of pastors, teachers, and Bible Study workers have an advantage over those who are born into a world of hate and ignorance.  Or perhaps you would think advantage comes from being a servant of the Lord for many many years.  Thinking that birthright or experience are a blessing may be correct, but in terms of advantages over the new found convert to the faith – it means almost nothing.

There is a story Christ told regarding two sons, a prodigal who takes his money early, leaves home, lives wild, loses everything and comes home expecting to be a servant.  Most believers are familiar with this story, it represents the majority of those who come to find God out of the world of hate.  But I identify more with the other brother, the other son who stayed home, did what he was told, worked hard, got no special recognition, and was a bit upset when a feast was made for the one who came back forgiven.  No, I do not resent new found converts for finding God, but I do envy them.

Why envy the new guy?  You almost never hear that one.  You see for the new guy, forgiveness is a new experience, and wiping out a past of bad deeds and seeing the wisdom of good is new.  For me it is understood.  But the other brother who stayed home had a fatal flaw in the story of Christ.  He believed he did everything he was told.  He believed he had earned His Father’s favor.  He worked for his reward.  And yet he failed.  His pride was his undoing.  The cancerous addictive nature of sin absolutely rules our carnal natures, we are slave to it.  Our ONLY out is to throw ourselves before the throne of Grace and ask for its dominion over our will and lives.

The new guy has a new experience.  He does not yet know what death really is.  There comes a time when after serving the Lord for many years, or trying to serve Him anyway, that you begin to realize how absolutely HORRIBLE sin really is.  It is as if you discovered the true nature of crack cocaine for the first time.  It is not the substance of feeling good, it is the key poison in killing everything you love, and then you.  This is what sin is.  What all sin is.  Past all the marketing campaigns that evil devises, past all the rationalizations we dream up, past the momentary ‘high’ we might feel when in the act of sin – comes the realization it is death on a stick.

No one is immune.  Least of all me.  And now days, when I screw up, really screw up, do something so incredibly stupid, predictable, and destructive – even if it is just a thought I harbor in my mind for much longer than I know better – I discover death again, up close and personal.  Me and the brother who stayed home in Christ’s parable I think share a knowledge of how deep the pain is from experiencing sin up close and personal.  We struggle with it, try to hide it when we do it, and long for the kind of celebration our wild-living brother gets when we find ourselves prostrate before our God again.

For me there is such a thing as life after death, but not the idea of my soul existing after my physical form returns to the dust.  That is not a Biblical teaching, and is counter to the logic of our God.  But my body need not decay for me to cozy up to death.  Every time I embrace evil, I literally jump right in the coffin and beg for the dirt.  I find myself looking back at my level of stupidity in dumb founded silence with no words, no excuses, no one to blame but me.  And I am amazed that I could do that yet again.  This is truly death.  Eternal sleep that follows the justice of a final fire we call hell, will be a rest, will be peace – it will be the final peace only the wicked could truly appreciate.  For to live in a state of evil is to experience a living hell, a living death, a living level of pain that is off the charts, that is the truer meaning of hell.  Eternal sleep is mercy compared to that.  This the knowledge that staying at home brings.

So where is the life I talked about?  It is found yet again at the foot of the cross.  As I find myself back there again, watching the blood of my Savior God drip down the wooden implement of torture.  I know He is there for me again.  I put Him there again.  It takes this to restore me.  It took this to bring me back to God clean again.  The cost of my evil must be paid, the mercy of my God, requires the blood of His innocence for my guilt.  My sin is not paid for cheaply.  It is not just the agony of Christ that will cover me.  It is my own realization His agony is my fault.  It is for me He does this.  It is for me, His love is this great for me – I cannot even begin to imagine why.  I cannot even begin to imagine why He looks at me this way, why He would go this far for me, again and again.

I am forgiven.  In the eyes of my Father God, I am pure, seen again through the robes of His Son’s righteousness despite my addictive stupidity.  Heaven can forgive me.  Heaven has love enough.  But me.  I am not that developed.  I am not good enough just yet.  While Heaven may see me as forgiven, all I see is the stupidity I immerse myself in.  I accept the forgiveness the He offers.  But I marvel at its depth.  I wonder at His motive and wisdom in loving such a parasite as me.  Grace is anything but cheap.

But there is again something I crave more than forgiveness, that is reform.  Past the pain of acceptance and forgiveness is the absolute craving to avoid a recurrence.  I do not want death anymore.  I do not want to indulge in my stupidity anymore.  The consequences of stupidity pale in comparison of the price it takes in my Savior’s blood, and in the ache in my heart to get past it again.  Lead us not into temptation.  A phrase that becomes the mantra of my life.  To change the core of who I am.  To change the desires of my heart.  To bring my heart into alignment with the will and wishes of a perfect God.  This is my ultimate desire, my highest ambition, my finest goal.

The thing about living at home in the family of God is that when you screw up, your siblings are usually the first to point it out.  More often than not, they take great pride in investigating what you do, and joy in their righteous ridicule of pointing out your obvious misdeeds.  They throw rocks of truth at you.  You see, you know better.  You know way better.  You understand.  Yet here you go again.  The evil one comes to you in this after action moment to try to squeeze out the last ounce of hope from you by reminding you only of everything you already know to be true.  You know better.  What on earth are you doing … again?

But you see the same Father who ran down the road to greet his wayward son in his abject failure, is right outside the door of your room.  He enters, puts His arm around your shoulders and picks you up off the floor again.  He cleans up the wounds you created, heals the pain, and makes you new again.  In His quiet unassuming manner, He is your Father, family Physician, and Savior in one complete package.  He throws no rocks.  He makes no condemning statements of obvious truth.  He meets you right there in the filth you have created, and pulls you out.  He gets your dirt on Him, your smell transfers to Him, your consequences He takes, and you get His cleanliness.  This is the Guy you chose to live with.  It was a good decision.  There is nothing out there in the world of hate waiting for you, but death on a stick.

Living under the roof or the protection of the Father, that is the right choice for me.  I do not envy my brother who experiences great evil.  I would rather share in his great forgiveness, for you see I am just as dirty as he, just as big a failure as he.  The only difference between me and my brother, is I live a little closer to the source of love, and perhaps now we will both share that too.  Life was born from the pain of the cross.  But Hope remains that one day there will be no more need to revisit that site again.  One day the God and Savior of my life, will fully and completely change the core of me, perfecting in me His own image, His own will, His own love.  My Hope clings to this as tightly as my Faith that He will yet execute it within me.

When you give your life to God, give it all.  Give to Him, your thoughts, your desires, your motives, your actions, your inner being, your personality, your hopes, your dreams, your valued things, and your most precious relationships.  When you give your life to God, give it all.  There is life after death for me.  And I pray to the only one who can affect this change within me, that in spite of me, He will make it so in me…


No comments:

Post a Comment