Friday, January 30, 2009

Uphill Road, Both Ways ...


All too often the concept of following God is accompanied with the idea that once you choose to get to know God, somehow your pathway will be smooth, without trial, without problems, just a cakewalk all the way home.  When a devout follower of God gets hit with disaster, sickness, or death the immediate response can be - how can this happen … to me?

I think the basic reason we ask why is that we know just how BIG our God really is.  Given how incredible He can be; and how much power He really has; we wonder why He would not just immediately over-rule the horror in our lives.  It seems at least reasonable that He would block the pain that can come, or greatly reduce it.  Recently, I went through a very trying 2 week period passing not one, but two kidney stones 3mm each (about the size of a peppercorn or BB-gun ammo).  Those of you who have had one of these know how excruciating the pain can be while this little trinket works its way through corridors in your body where no foreign substance was ever meant to travel.  Women have compared it with the pain of child birth.  I wish I could say this was my first encounter with a kidney stone, but I had one before about 3-4 years ago.

When the first wave of pain hit my left side, I knew immediately what the cause was.  My mind instantly recalled the ordeal I went through the first time getting one of these little devils out of my system.  My second thought was not now, not here, not like this.  Then I’m praying - Lord, you and I both know what this is, and we also both know You could kill it for me, could you please ? … But the next wave of pain came anyway.  After a night in the ER the first stone passed.  A few days later, the pain was back.  Was it just residual from the first one maybe, it couldn’t possibly be another one, could it?  Yup.  A third trip to the ER and a second Cat-Scan and there we go, yet another 3mm stone on its way out of Dodge.  So not only did God not fix my first one, or my second, here came number three.  Does this mean God does not exist?  Far from it, I KNOW He does.  That leaves the question, why does He not overrule nature, pollution, or my defective body and kill this thing for me?

Herein is where those with less faith begin to doubt the existence of God.  How could He be out there and permit all this pain.  If He can fix it, why would He not?  I mean in my case at least, He knows me.  I know Him.  So what’s up with all the pain?  It gets worse.  A few times the mixture of drugs and pain lead me to wonder if it may also be my heart giving out during one of these episodes.  If that happened I could die.  Getting up off the pot to find an entire bowl of butt blood gives you no small pause after this kind of ugliness.  Could it be cancer as well?  Could I be on my way out, and if so, am I on the superhighway, or taking the slow road.  Either way, it looks uphill.  And still God could heal me, no doubts.  The doubts come as to whether He will or not.

So what is the lesson for me in all this pain?  A good question I venture.  I might also ask why my friend Dennis who works tirelessly for our church just passed his 5th or 6th stone.  I might also ask why my pastor just passed his 4th or 5th stone.  I might wonder why our head elder battles prostate cancer.  Are we doing something wrong?  Are we somehow making bad choices in our diets, or lives that lead to these consequences, or is this all just bad dumb luck?  Looks like most of the other spiritual leaders in my inner circle suffer the same problems.  Is it our collective lack of faith that somehow prevents God from just curing us all outright?

But then I think to myself, this lesson is a lot like learning about the effects of sin.  God could immediately rescue me from all future sin and spare me from it.  But then, how would I truly know how much it hurts.  How would I know how much damage it does unless I am permitted to experience some of its effects.  Were I allowed to experience ALL of sin’s effects, I would die.  Much like my health issues of late, I could have died, but didn’t.  I got to feel the pain, and realize how much we REALLY need God, and how wonderful Heaven will be just to have the absence of pain.  In short, I know what it means to hurt.  There are others who have learned even more than me, there always will be.  But that does not deny my own lesson.  If I live or die from health issues or any other cause, is to a large extent not in my control.  But then, it was out of my control when I felt no pain at all.  Control is something I do NOT get to have.

So how do I live?  If doomed to walk an uphill path, is there any way out?  Do you think the poor guy who just became a quadriplegic has a choice?  Do you think the veteran who lost a limb is happy to live the rest of his life in that condition?  No one gets to choose, or everyone would only take the cakewalk.  Struggle is never the preferred way of living, it is foisted upon us, by an imperfect world.  God allows it.  It is beyond our comprehension why, because we can’t ever imagine choosing to live with pain of any kind.  We want the easy, the painless, the struggle-free existence – but sin completely prevents this from occurring right now.  God does not serve only as a fire-escape from our pain.  He is forced to work with us while we struggle.  He helps us see the effects of the choices we make, on ourselves, on our world, even what it cost Him.

There was however, one who chose to live suffering.  He chose a life uncertain of his outcome, not sure if the level of sacrifice on the cross would be enough to cover the sins of humanity.  What if the weight of sin was so profoundly offensive to a perfect father God that once having borne our iniquity Christ must remain forever separate from His Father?  The plan of our salvation bore a level of risk.  Along with a life of constant struggle, and self denial (never using his divine nature to escape personal pain, or avoid tribulation) – Christ must face death not knowing if the temporary separation from His Father that broke His heart on Calvary might wind up being a permanent condition.  Yet He persevered.  So great was Christ’s love for His creation, that he took this unprecedented risk, after a life that literally included torture and a most cruel death.  He chose to leave the cakewalk of Heaven and live life on earth, poor, and under constant attack from the evil one.  He chose this.  He had alternatives, but chose to live this way.

Who am I to complain about any meager pain I might endure?  Drugs dull my pain, there was nothing to dull His.  I may die, but because of Him, I have hope to live again in perfection.  My sleep of death will be brief.  My years of suffering here on earth pale in comparison to the permanent reward He offers.  The quadriplegic will walk again, and run, and feel, and do it for an eternity.  The struggles will not endure – but the peace will.  I hope to live long enough to be of service to God, and when my time comes to pass from this world – it is my service I hope to be remembered for.  Basically I am a wimp.  I would choose my whole life to avoid all pain, and live in relative comfort.  I may not get this choice, but I praise God, that He loves me in my suffering.  That He remains right by my side when I hurt.  That He aches to heal me, but must sometimes permit me to see the meaning of pain.  I praise God that He was far from the wimp I am.  I praise God that His choice to suffer this way and worse, buys my freedom and end to all pain.  I praise God …


No comments:

Post a Comment