Friday, February 6, 2009

Unanswered Questions ...


Ever had an itch you could not scratch?  Ever had a question you really needed an answer to, that you just could not seem to find?  One of the most perplexing questions that occupies the minds of men, is what is the will of God for their lives?  Having discovered the existence of the True God, having embraced His love, forgiveness, and witnessed the changes He brings in your character – inevitably the question is posed, what does God want from me?  What does He want me to do?  Where?  When?  How?  And the most perplexing issue associated with the posing of this question is the lack of an immediate, clear response.

Christians falsely assume that by embracing God, they will magically receive a master-plan from Heaven’s architecture room for them to follow for the remainder of their lives.  No path will ever be dark, no decision unclear.  The idea that you apply the principles found in the Bible and work out a real-time plan for the remainder of your life is not one based in practical reality.  You would think it would work out this way, but it seldom does.  There are those few who seem called to a particular role, but they appear to be the exception not the rule.  So what gives?  Why is it that the most fundamental question of how to serve God best can go unanswered for long periods of time?

Unfortunately, we are not always ready to hear the answers to the questions we ask.  Sometimes the answers might be unthinkable to us, we may be eager to serve, but unprepared for the service.  In these instances God needs more time with us, to help get us ready for what He may require of us later.  His tender mercy takes the time that we need, to get our minds, bodies, and hearts in order for our next level of service for Him.  The faith we are given, allows us to trust in God, and to know that our question will not always go unanswered – but must sometimes be delayed in response for our own good.

Another reason why our destinies do not seem to be laid out in front of us in full detail is the element of freedom of choice.  Quite simply it is possible to serve God in a number of ways.  Not everyone has to be a preacher, a teacher, a writer, or a prophet to serve the Lord.  Doctors, Lawyers, and Indian Chiefs can also serve the Lord in whatever profession we find ourselves in.  As stated before witnessing is more about helping other connect with the source of all good, than it is about convincing others to believe like you do.  In that sense, as others see the Lord working in you, they will be drawn to the source of the changes they see.  Frankly, the closer you get to God, the more others will want to know how you accomplished it – what is different in your life – these questions are the gateway to worship and witnessing.

Tradesmen, craftsmen, salesmen, and those who work in customer service have even more opportunity to reflect the character of God than most others.  People in these kinds of positions, who do an honest job, a thorough job, and maintain a humble loving attitude despite the arrogance, and often obnoxious customer response, plainly show the influence of God in their lives.  Customers are less likely to be rude to Doctors, Lawyers, and people in leadership positions, because they feel the need of these people more and usually only seek them out in times of trouble.  Those they commonly come across, they seem to have much less trouble sharing their displeasure with.  But those humble Christian workers who maintain their composure, and still perform to the best of their ability, are effectively ‘working’ for God without a formal commission.

While God may not choose to lay out a detailed plan for us to follow, He does not leave us completely ignorant as to His will.  The Bible outlines a fair number of principles we can follow to help us evaluate choices we come across to see if they fit within His will.  For instance, I could be a salesmen for soft drink company, or for a cigarette company.  The choice may be up to me.  At first glance the choice seems obvious.  Tobacco is addictive, and causes cancer.  To work as an agent in its sales seems like being directly responsible for spreading its pain.  But one could argue that soft drinks are equally responsible for the obesity disease infecting our youth.  The sugar contained in soft drinks may not have as immediate and devastating effect as the tobacco but over the long term could also be considered poison.  So what would Jesus do? 

Sometimes we confine ourselves to 2 obvious choices without looking beyond the immediate options and thinking outside the box.  Were we to limit ourselves to selling only things that were free of contaminants we would quickly find our career options completely blunted.  Even ‘organic’ foods may pose a health risk to smaller segment of the population.  Between the soda or the cigarettes, the soda seems less harmful.  But having demonstrated an interest in health issues and a passion on the topic, perhaps the soda company would consider using your skills to promote it’s bottled water line, or juice line, or athletic drinks?  Most companies have more than one product in their arsenal.  And isn’t it possible that even the cigarette company may also have a program to kick the habit, or equivalent educational materials they are required by law to produce on the dangers of smoking.  It may not be your first choice to work for a cigarette company, but there may also be positions they fund that actually do good works.  And sometimes cigarette companies have entirely other independent divisions that have nothing to do with tobacco.

The truth is, that no matter how ‘evil’ you feel a cigarette company may be, large corporations tend to have stock and holdings in one another to such a point that the lines become blurred between one entity and another.  Wealth in our society is centered at the tops of the pyramids, and abuse of workers at the bottom is a commonplace occurrence.  Trying to find a ‘good’ corporation is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  Some corporations may be more blatantly good than others, but none are completely clean.  This does not mean that God would have us perpetually unemployed.  We can use Biblical principles to guide our choices, but those principles include doing our best, even when our employer is not the best of Christians.  Judging others for their positions, or employers, is never too good an idea.  In fact, judging others should be avoided period.

I worked for many years at defense contractor when I graduated college.  I supported my family this way.  I thought my position to be somewhat patriotic in nature; in that I was helping keep a company going that was strengthening the defense of my country.  Then war broke out.  I heard inside stories about the level of devastation some of the weapons we had built had caused.  Proud that we were more ‘accurate’ and causing less collateral damage, I spoke to a group of soldiers in an airport while traveling.  They had used one of our weapons systems and were very familiar with it.  And they relayed to me that they believed our weapons system delivery mechanism had given several of the men testicular cancer.  I immediately informed my co-workers and management of this report and was promptly ignored.  I later found out that our ‘accuracy’ had been overstated.  Now I understand that the CIA has direct control over drone planes with mounted weapons that can ‘assassinate’ high value targets almost anywhere.  Was I a patriot or an accomplice to murder?  Is killing our enemies OK, or is killing itself wrong?  Is killing still OK when we are only marginally sure of who our adversary is?  And how many might we have killed or wounded on our own side by lack of quality controls or standards (i.e. testicular cancer)?  Maybe the soldiers were mistaken, maybe they were not.  Was my small supporting role in a large corporation in some way responsible for all this damage?

I determined to serve the Lord better by looking for work in another kind of company.  I immediately thought of working in our local Christian hospital.  I had friends there.  It seemed like a natural fit to apply IT skills in a different environment.  But no.  Never has a pathway been so sealed up shut.  I could not get in at any level.  15 years later, and this door is still closed to me.  Hard to understand that God would not want me working in an area that seems to directly support His ethics – heal the sick, take care of the wounded, cure disease.  But this was not to be for me.  Instead I would hone my leadership skills in other IT companies.  My career would take me places I could not have imagined.  I would stay true to my principles, and would be fortunate (i.e. blessed) to work for honest men, who sought wealth not at the expense of others, but by aiding others.  Every company I have worked for since, shared my ethics.  This has been nothing short of the favor of the Lord.

But it remains an open question for me, and for many I know.  How best to serve the Lord next?  What more can I do for Him, who has done so much for me?  I don’t feel I have an answer for that question yet.  So I wait and watch and hope for one.  In the mean time, I try to serve Him now, and realize how pathetic I am at doing just that.  Perhaps the reason I do not receive my own answer, is that my attempts to serve God are so wholly inadequate there is not much I can for Him now, without damaging His name further in the eyes of others.  If so Lord, then continue your work of change within me.  I would normally ask He speed it up, but I think I’ll defer that one, and trust He knows best J

No comments:

Post a Comment