Friday, September 5, 2008

Sometimes You Lose ...


Ever had one of those days?  You know the kind, where if there is anything that could go wrong, it does.  Or maybe you’ve experienced one of those life changing bad days.  You might not have had one of these yet.  The kind of day where something major happens, you lose a job, lose a loved one, lose everything you own, lose your health.  That kind of day seems to trump every other you can remember.  Sometimes it feels as though a day like that can dim your memories of even your best day up till now.  So what gives?  Doesn’t God promise us protection from these kind of life altering days?  Why do they still crop up?

Most of life feels like a competition.  You race to get enough education to secure a good job, but then quickly find that politics play more a role of keeping it, than ability.  So you learn.  You adapt.  You become a student of the fine art of politics and in the process realize how much people’s insecurity factors into their business decisions.  To succeed now requires a study of psychology as well.  Add psychic to the list as the ability predict market direction, buying patterns, and sales forecasts become critical to your continued overall success.  Those who do not feel the weight of this competition have probably been blessed with not moving too far down the line in it.  But the risks remain no matter where you find yourself in the pattern.

Taking Christian principles into the workplace presents its own set of challenges.  It is difficult to show trust to others who have not earned it.  It is difficult to return consistent positive responses to those who favor getting up in your face or to those who wait for your back to be turned before the knife comes out.  It is difficult to remain consistent in the face of the emotionally erratic.  And even if you do all of this, even if you manage to pull it off, even when you think you are doing everything right.  Sometimes you lose anyway.

Skeptics would argue that Christian principles have no place at work.  Cynics would take it further to state that you lost because of your Christianity.  The temptation of others to take advantage of your generosity is just too hard to resist.  But both the skeptic and cynic would prefer to have dealings with you personally, not just for the advantage they believe they can gain over you, but for the integrity they can count on which is really so rare.  In point of fact, a handshake deal with a man of honor is worth more than a 400 page iron clad contract with a man who has no honor.  Men of honor, men of integrity, tend to last much longer than men of expediency, and men of compromise.  But even men of honor lose.

Of course to really examine and understand this conundrum you need to take a close look at what it is you are really “losing”.  In the case of a job for instance, what you are “losing” is the environment you know, the people you deal with, the routine tasks you perform, and perceived security of regular income to plan around.  All notable.  All perishable.  The real question or measurement of loss is determined by what comes next isn’t it?  If you “lose” this job but find yourself in a better one, is it still a “loss”.  If you earn more, have more time off, find easier work, deal with more honorable people, is it still a loss?  Course if the lag time between one job and another lasts long enough, the lag time itself becomes the “loss”.  You could lose everything you own.  Not fun.  Been there, done that, have the postcard.

Losing a loved one is much harder emotionally.  Losing health is harder still both emotionally, and physically.  It can have a devastating financial impact as well (we call that one the tri-fecta).  But the loss of those we love here in this world will one day be returned to us in the next.  The loss of health, might be restored through healing in this world, but for certain will be fully restored in the next.  The loss of a job is a more unpredictable phenomenon.  You need a job in this world to survive, but may well have several of them before reaching retirement age.  Some you choose to move to based on the lure of more.  Some you are forced to find because you are left without a choice.  When the economy conspires against you with a new forced job search, odds seem stacked against you.  Is this the nature of a “loss” then?  Is it losing a job during hard economic times?  You must know the competition to find another one will be much greater, the number of openings far fewer.  This is a perfect storm combination that can easily spell out bankruptcy.

So what is the plan of God, when like me, you find yourself having one of these ugly days?  The company to which I have dedicated more than the last year of my life to building for success, has opted to separate from me, in order to lower their expenses.  I am sure the lack of meaningful sales over the last 8 months weighed heavily in that decision.  I am not angry about it.  More puzzled than anything really.  It seemed as though God had opened every door for me to be in the position I was in with my former employer.  And this forced transition never really seemed to be a part of what I would normally predict as His plan.

So where to go from here?  Sometimes you lose.  I did.  But I wonder if the loss will be real, or short lived.  I wonder if the effects will be long lasting or quickly forgotten.  I wonder what the future holds for me.  But I have no doubt in the creator God I serve.  While I am clueless on His next moves, I am curious to watch them play out.  I am not starving as yet, have no mounting bills as yet, am in no immediate danger as yet.  Even if these things all transpire there is little I can do to control the outcome, or prevent their occurrence.  So due to my set of beliefs, I can relax.  I can put my trust in the only living entity with enough power to influence the future I am to come across.  I can put the burden for my care and maintenance in the only Hands with enough real control to insure success.  And what is more, I can try to maintain the priority of resting in Him, knowing that what efforts I make to alter my outcome, will find purpose in success only when He makes it so.  This is the beauty of trust.

I look forward to the blog entry to thank my God for the new job and income He has provided.  I don’t know how long it will be before I write that one.  But I have every expectation of writing it.  Till then I will continue to discuss the myths that tend to hurt the name and reputation of our creator God …


No comments:

Post a Comment