Friday, November 9, 2007

Poor, Blind and Naked ...


I watched the premier episode of a new show on A&E’s network called “The Cleaner” this week.  It is based on the true story of a reformed heroin addict who committed his life to God, and now works with a team of other former addicts he helped to continue helping others.  Benjamin Bratt is the main star of this show, and I must admit I enjoyed his portrayal of a man who talks to God like he is having a conversation.  I like the premise of the show.  I enjoyed the story.  But something affected me, much more than I expected.  I felt that still small voice prompt me telling me – this is you.

No it did not mean I am Benjamin Bratt, or the hero of the story.  Maybe I could be, but I guess I have chosen not to be so far.  No, I was the other character in the first episode.  The well meaning, normally dependable side kick, another ‘reformed’ addict who at the end of the first show – dies of an overdose after getting bad news from his estranged family.  That character had earned his estrangement.  He thought his reform would undo the damage he had done prior to it.  He thought he was past any lure of old habits.  He was working with the good guys, on the right team.  But he was dead, from a self-inflicted overdose when he realized the damage he had caused he could not undo.

I have never been a heroin addict.  Not sure I have ever even worked on the good guys team.  But I was completely slaughtered watching this story unfold.  It was me.  Not because the facts of our stories are alike, but the NEED is identical.  Not the need for drugs, escape, or even forgiveness – we do share those in principle – but the NEED of a savior.  The NEED to be free from the pain we surround ourselves in.  And just like the character in this story, it once again hit me square in the face – I am poor, I am blind, and I am naked.

There was a church of people who lived in the early Christian era, in fact seven different churches, all with unique attributes – both strengths and weaknesses.  The seventh one was Laodicea.  John wrote to them all, counseling them where they were weak.  The last one, looks remarkably like the condition we find within the Christian community today.  We think of ourselves as wealthy, and in need of nothing.  But our true condition, is poor, blind, and naked.

We are poor, not in material wealth, though many struggle with this.  Our poverty is in the power of our prayers, the meager amount of faith we show, and how little of God’s spirit we allow to live through us.  In this we are desperately poor.  How often does the Bible tell stories of people who did something first, believing that God would bless them.  Abraham was not given a road map and tourism flyer of a new country.  He left home first, wandering, through very rough terrain before he came to rest as God promised.  The prophet Elijah was fed by a woman who was sitting down to her last meal on earth, destined to face starvation.  Instead she gave up ALL she had literally insuring an even earlier painful death, and God acted afterwards filling her oil and meal for years.  Yet our position is to wait for God to act first, before we do anything.  We wait for healing before we pray for it.  We wait for money, before we spend it on missions and outreach and serving our communities.  We risk nothing, and have the meager faith and results to prove it.

We are blind, though not because our eyes do not see.  Our blindness is to the NEED we ALL have of a savior from the pain we try to ignore in our lives.  Our vain attempts to fill the void of loneliness, ambition, or greed are never fully satisfied.  We look in the wrong places, to find the wrong things, always ignoring the plain simple truths of love and service to others.  We fail to see our poverty.  We fail to see how mediocre we have become.  How sedate we are in the church.  How our entire spiritual experience is nothing more than lukewarm at best.  We buy in to what the media tells us we should think is important without question.  We accept corporate whitewashed news as fact.  We are influenced by popular culture and seemingly immune to the call of a still small voice.  We are immersed in the blackness of evil.  This shroud keeps us comfortable in our darkness, and tries to mask our desperate NEED.

We are naked, again not from lack of clothing.  Our nudity is the lack of spiritual focus, preparation, and repentence of sin.  We refuse to acknowledge the consequences of our actions.  Like the reformed junkie in the show I watched, we think our new found reformation will undo any damage we have done, but it does not.  Sometimes our errors carry permanent consequences.  And every time we fall, we must ask for forgiveness from the only one who can truly give it.  But even more important, we must learn to accept the forgiveness He offers.  The junkie lost sight of the value of his future, as he was shrouded in the darkness of his past.  Just like him, I am an addict to the sins I commit.  Just like any reformed addict I need daily outside help from the only one who can give it.  Just like him, I need to accept this help, lean on it, use it, and make it mine.  And just like him, if I cannot begin to let the forgiveness I am offered allow my mind to move forward to what is possible – I will be sucked into looking at the past, focusing on my failures, until I lose all hope and die.

I watched the news this week from CNN.  Inflation jumping 5% in a month; 30,000 auto workers laid off from all 3 major car companies; Salmonella poisoning in our food supply with no ability to trace it, or isolate it; Gas prices at an all time high, with major recessions pending.  Maybe if we get hit enough in the face with bad news after bad news, it will begin to lift the self-imposed darkness we surround ourselves in and help us finally see our NEED.  But for those who are untouched by these events, for the folks who eat tomatoes without consequences, work at a good job and have enough to pay the bills, can easily fill their tanks with gas – your NEED is even greater.  Our NEED is not based on our affluence.  The first trait of any modern Laodicean is their pride in their wealth, and their belief they have need of nothing.

But our God and our Creator says differently.  He counsels us to buy of Him Gold tried in the fire, white raiment to cover our shame, and medicine to apply to our stunted eyes so that we may see again.  In short he asks us to have faith in Him, to trust Him, and to walk with Him through the hard times on our doorsteps – no matter what the outcome.  Like fire purifies Gold, so trouble and persecution refines our faith.  The white clothing He asks us to take is the forgiveness that covers what is behind, and frees us to look ahead.  The medicine for our eyes, is the awakening of the still small voice within us.  It is lighting a candle in our darkness that explodes into the light of the noon day sun.  It is the Spirit of God that provides the clarity we need to see our condition.  Not just to decry how bad a state we are in, but to reform and change and become the new creature God intends for us to be. 

Awakening the Spirit of God in our lives will strengthen our prayers and add power to our requests.  It will remove the doubts we relish, and replace it with boldness.  It will remind us we are nothing of ourselves and that God is everything.  It is to God we forward the glory, the credit, and the honor.  We were not meant to see, to merely point out our condition, but to see how to fix it.  Recognizing the NEED we share for a savior is the first step in actually being saved. 

As for me, I don’t look good naked.  My eyes are bad enough.  And I have no wealth of any meaning.  I wish my time in this Laodicean church culture to be at an end.  I want to be a truly reformed addict.  I want to see the sin in my life leave once and for all time.  I wish to be renewed in the Spirit and power and mercy of our God.  I repent Lord.  I want those things you offer.  Let it be with me as You have said in Your word …


No comments:

Post a Comment