Friday, November 16, 2007

My Mirror Misunderstands the Facts ...


“Mirror, mirror on the wall – who is the fairest of them all?”  That is easy, it’s me of course.  Why would I pose a question I was not already sure about?  So given this, is the mirror actually lying, or is it me, or is it something else?  I met the quintessential Christian this past week in my encounters on a social networking site.  I did not need to ask what a “quintessential Christian” was as she was quick to enumerate the characteristics they (herself included) carry.  I am sure her mirror and mine must secretly communicate.

I wonder why it is, that so many Christians can look straight into a mirror and see only good things?  This phenomenon amazes me.  I am not talking about being forgiven or washed pure in the blood of Christ, I am talking about staring straight into an unbiased thing like a mirror – and then selectively seeing only the things you want to see rather than the things that are truly there.  Evil’s marketing campaign seems to have so affected our vision, that we are conditioned to see only certain things about ourselves, and ignore so much of the obvious.

Myself for example – when I look into the mirror to check my appearance before leaving the house – I give myself the once over to see if I am presentable.  Is my hair clean and combed?  Teeth look good, no junk in them?  Face clean and reasonably shaved?  All I need now is a breath check and I am good to go.  Having approved of my appearance, or adjusted any unproved exceptions, I then consider myself a reasonably attractive man.  I tend to ignore the gray hair that has come with age; the blemishes all over my skin from old moles, or freckles; the additional weight gain that nobody likes; and as far as my teeth go, there is hardly more than 3 or 4 bottom teeth in a straight line my whole life long.  It appears my long impacted wisdom teeth are literally pushing the others out of the way over the years.  Sound great don’t I? J

All these obvious flaws are right there in my mirror, but I am conditioned to simply over look them.  In the spiritual context however this problem can become an order of magnitude worse.  Not only can I overlook my flaws, I can deny they exist, yet reveal their existence in the same breath.  My quintessential Christian friend told me literally in the same 2 sentences, that she was not judging anyone and loved everyone and that any TRUE follower of Christ MUST call abortion by its only name – murder.  It is not a question about whether you think abortion is right or wrong – her statement is, in point of fact, a judgment, not about the topic, but about the people who may not agree with her.  Her statement says they cannot be TRUE followers of Christ if they do not share her opinion as she states it.  And yet, she is blind to her own dogmatic condemnations.

This is the underlying problem shared by all Christianity; that we often seem to forget our need.  Our attention gets taken up on a few key items we focus on, and we subsequently condition ourselves to ignore and accept an entire series of defects, character flaws, condemnations of our neighbors, etc..  We defend ourselves from the slightest accusation that all may not be perfect in our own characters, and try to throw blame elsewhere, or do comparative righteousness with other less fortunate’s.  Anything to avoid wiping our eyes when we look into our mirror’s and see what may have been there all the time.

Of course at the root of all this difficulty is our oldest enemy – self.  We like to think of ourselves in a favorable light, with reasonable intellectual and social abilities.  We like this.  It pleases us.  We need it.  And so we create it.  We do what we have been trained to do, conditioned to do, to focus on the things that make us happy.  It is all about self.  Self has long been the king of our domains, and as king, we fight the hardest against accusations of selfishness.  We are quick to counter accusations of selfishness with a well prepared, well recited list of good deeds we have “sacrificed” over our whole lives long.  We counter accusations of selfishness by trying to claim martyrdom over our “good” deeds.

Wrong.  Any “good” deeds you may have ever done in your life were either truly good because they came from a true surrender to the will of God, and He performed them through you.  For which you seek no recognition, or reward.  Or your list of accomplishments was done specifically so that you could combat feelings or accusations of selfishness if ever hurled at you.  There is no good defense against this accusation – because in point of fact – it is always true.  The very nature of evil is a focus on self, and we are all guilty of it.

But, with our new found discovery of how to surrender to God daily and remove the sin from our lives – we now have a counterattack to our current condition.  But like the largely visible sins we surrender to God, we must first begin by seeing, by waking up to the level of evil we are plagued by.  Our prayer of surrender grows to ask the Lord to open our eyes so that we can begin to see the mirror more clearly, and recognize our need more acutely.  Our intent is not to just layer guilt on guilt, it is to expose our need, then address it – slowly replacing imperfection with perfection.

Mirrors have no interest in our pride, or in our condemnation.  They merely reflect the image that stands in front of them.  They are dispassionate, reliable resources for stating truth.  The emotional variables in the equation are us.  We are the ones who derive intentions, motivations, and innuendo from what we see in ourselves.  Not every accusation hurled at us is correct, but so many are.  What we need to do, is to stop acting on the defensive, and start becoming more factual in our self analysis.  Defensive responses are human nature when there is no hope of change, or getting better.  But we have hope.  We have hope because of Salvation.  For Christ died to save us from our sins here and now.

And when in doubt that the mirror you are using to examine your character is worthwhile, try using the only one as accurate as the one in your bathroom.  Try using Jesus Christ, and life He lived as your example of what to aspire to.  Like the mirror in your bathroom, Christ has no interest in stroking your pride, or condemning your spirit.  He wishes only to reveal what you must see, and then to cleanse the impurity.  Don’t be discouraged because like me there is much work to do.  Do not falter at the size of the task.  One after another, truth can be layered upon truth, and surrender can lead to His victory after His victory that makes you a better person.

A good beginning is humility.  We sometimes forget this when we look at what God has achieved for us, the extent that He has given us, and reformed our behaviors.  We get to feeling good about our lessening pain, and start to forget how we are accomplishing this only through surrender.  Old habits of comparative righteousness creep up, and the greatest of all evils attempts to raise its ugly head in our lives – pride.  Proud of our lessening sins, proud of the relationship we have with God, proud of our witnessing, proud of our results. 

Quick folks, look back at the mirror of Christ, and see how FAR you have yet to go.  You have no reason for pride, and great reason for humility.  For pride is the pathway of self, and embracing it destroys the progress you would otherwise make.  Instead, greet each other in humility, remember ALL are struggling on the pathway to perfection.  All of us need to encourage each other, not tear each other down, or try to compare the lack of sins with each other.  We are not struggling for relative position within Christ’s kingdom, we are struggling to be there in peace and harmony.

I believe the quintessential Christian is the most humble person you ever meet.  It is their great LACK of pride that defines them this way, not their own descriptions of themselves.  The words of others enumerate their sacrifices, as they can remember none.  The praise of others defines their characters as they can see only their need of a savior.  This is the Christian I aspire to be.  I hope to face my mirror, learn the truth, and surrender to the only one who can teach it to me forever …


No comments:

Post a Comment