Friday, November 2, 2007

Evil Continually ...


It occurs to me that one of the scariest portraits of the human condition I know of is to be doing evil continually.  None of us believe this to be true of ourselves.  We rationalize that even if we are aware that we are sometimes “bad”, it is not a non-stop-phenomenon.  Our bad deeds have to be interrupted by a series of good deeds in order to keep balance in our lives.  We may know of someone else who seems to have an uninterrupted flow of evil going on in their lives, but it could not possibly be us.  Could it?

The problem with wisdom and an increase in knowledge is that it does not prevent one from doing evil.  In some instances it just makes it harder to catch the evil, or perhaps even to detect the evil.  Ted Bundy was anything but stupid.  He used his intellect to manipulate, to plan, to calculate, and ultimately to kill.  Adolph Hitler was anything but stupid.  He used his natural charisma to intimidate, to inspire fascism, and to systemically with precision, attempt to exterminate an entire race of people.  Charlie Manson, Pol-Pot, Saddam Hussein, pick your dictator; they do not seem to suffer from immense stupidity, yet they kill without hesitation despite having an intellect.

This does not mean that all smart people are evil people, but it does mean that smart is no defense against evil.  Passion as well, seems to be a common motive for doing evil.  Temporary blinding rage, from jealousy, from envy, from a need for revenge, all can lead one to perform deeds they would otherwise not contemplate, or at least not execute.  So emotion as well, is no defense against doing evil.  Retardation is no defense either.  People not in total control of their faculties, whether drunk, or high on drugs, or simply with ultra-low-level IQ’s – have been known to participate in extraordinary evil behavior.  It seems then, we have few if any natural defenses against being evil.

Yet despite our inability to fight evil effectively, we continue to blindly reason that we do not engage in it continually.  This myopic view of our own motives keeps us feeling better about ourselves, but also keeps us blind to our true nature, and our true condition.  One of those thought provoking, scary prophetic texts in the Bible was uttered by Christ Himself when He said “as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be …”.  In the days prior to the flood man engaged is SO much evil it made God sorry he created us.  Our species stooped to such a degenerate level we caused sorrow in the heart of God over our very existence.  Clearly we are capable of horror.

I realize that Christ was making an analogy when discussing this point.  But just how far does this analogy hold up?  You see a few things jump out at me about the story of Noah and the people in his time.  Only Noah and his immediate family were saved in the ark.  Not because he was the only one given the opportunity, but because he was the only one who chose to be saved.  Everyone else passed.  They passed, because they found it hard to believe there was a God; that if a God did exist – Surely He was not capable of extinguishing the life He created; and what was rain anyway – they had never seen it before.  It did not make sense.  The message Noah preached for 120 years was fodder for comedians.  It did not make sense.  It was not logical.  It was in the realm of the fantastic.

People then, like us I’m afraid, did not recognize their own condition as being evil.  They did things.  They said things.  They lived, and did not see living life in the dichotomy of evil and good.  But God’s review of them was that even their minds were constantly engaged in evil.  What a condemnation of an entire generation of people.  Not them, us.  We live in a time right before the final destruction of evil itself, but refuse to see ourselves as partakers of evil.  We see evil everywhere but in the mirror.  We can’t imagine ourselves as being perpetually evil.  But in the days of Noah, there was NO-ONE who avoided the flood outside of Noah and his family.  That meant everyone else was guilty, while stubbornly holding on to their claims of innocence.  Sound familiar?  Those people had mirrors too, and they saw the same things in them that you do.

Christians something think that they are immune to this phenomenon.  They are not.  It is said the average male has a sexual thought every 13 seconds.  No stats on women in this area.  But for sake of argument, even if this stat were once in every 13 minutes, do you think every thought is a pure one.  Do you think each impulse is based on intimacy and the unity that comes from the marriage that unites God with his creations?  Or do you think perhaps short skirts, low blouse lines, muscular physiques, or a look in the eyes, … that perhaps the origin of the sexual thought may come from an entirely different source.  One designed to disregard monogamy as old fashioned, out dated, and unnecessary; a source bent on the removal of intimacy from sexual expression to be replaced by objectification of people as mere things.  This is far more likely the reason for the statistic and the battle it presents to the average male, be it every 13 seconds, every 13 minutes, or even every 13 years.

Another favorite tool of evil is power.  The entire religion of Satan worship is based on the acquisition of power.  Public service is the face we put on it, but the current political process looks more like a power grab than an opportunity to serve.  Power over others has an allure all its own.  Wanting to have power can drive some to do evil to acquire it, and few change their patterns once having secured that which they sacrificed their values to get.  The idea of power is it at polar opposite of the idea of service.  Those that choose to serve do not crave power, but anonymity.  It is the humble that are able to serve, not the powerful, not the arrogant.

The job of taking this lump of clay that is me, and molding it into something that is remotely capable of existing in perfection without ruining everything it touches, is an effort worthy of a Creator God.  Only a Creator God is capable to extracting all that is evil within me, and replacing it with all that is worthy.  I dare say not a molecule exists within me that is not constructed of evil materials.  Almost every thought, almost every deed, almost every action must be completely redone.  To be born again is an analogy designed to reflect this molecular level change we need in our lives to begin to understand a lack of evil. 

Perhaps I understand a little better the fear Christ had on the cross as he took on the enormity of the weight of evil in this world.  He feared His sacrifice might not be enough to overcome the influence and effects of evil.  He who was sinless feared that once having been in so close proximity with this evil that perhaps His Father could not look upon Him again afterwards. 

When I look at the enormity of the evil that exists within me, when I see the vastness, when I realize my continual state, I fear that perhaps I am just too evil to be saved.  I fear that the work of changing me from this to perfection may be more than even Christ had thought to do for me.  But then I put aside my fear, and cling to the only hope I will ever have.  For if I am to be saved, if I am to be changed, it will be because He saved me, because He changed me.  When evil dies within me, it will be because He killed it, perhaps even over my objections.  My nature will be to fight Him to hold on to my evil, but I ask Him to win the fight with me, and change me in spite of me.  This is a work ONLY He could do.

If for no other reason, this is why I am so convinced of the divinity of Jesus Christ, and the plan for our salvation He and His Father have accomplished.  When I look at the true state of who I am, logic dictates the need of a Creator God who alone is capable of creating in me what does not naturally exist.  It took His death to pay my penalty.  It will take His life to make my existence worth having.  It takes His creative power to bring into existence within me, what cannot exist without Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment