Saturday, February 27, 2021

Riddles We Don't Understand ...

How do we process feelings we do not understand?  Or worse feelings we do not enjoy?  Sometimes the greatest riddle we face is not what intellectually stumps us, but what emotionally does.  For example, let’s say your son or daughter steals a sandwich you prepared for lunch one day without asking.  They have wronged you.  But they are family.  The wrong hardly registers for you, and the love you hold for them quickly drowns out, the minor crime of stealing a day’s lunch you probably could care less about.  So forgiveness is instant.  The incident forgotten.  Probably laughed about in a funny story in years to come if it is even remembered at all.  Our kids do plenty of things we are not too crazy about, and there are far more important things than a missing lunch to occupy the worry part of our brains.  But an incident like that one will hardly register.  So it is hard for you to feel too bad, or conflicted about it.  In a case like that a simple quick apology removes any possible worry and life goes on.  I would call that getting over it.  I would call that an example of true forgiveness.

But now alter the situation just a little bit.  Replace your son or daughter with a co-worker at your place of employment.  And instead of this being a one time near accidental event, make it one that happens without any acknowledgement and from time to time.  In effect, there is an office thief.  Not someone who would have the courage to ask you for food or for help, but someone who instead takes whatever they want, no matter how clearly it is labeled, and makes no apology seeking first above all to never be caught.  Now instead of family, you face someone who is nowhere near as close to you.  Now instead of one lunch you may have been victim to losing several.  Now instead of someone who has accidentally wronged you, you have someone who knows they did, and has not cared, that is, until they are caught doing it.  Is your forgiveness still as instant?  Is it still as complete?  Is this still a funny story you tell in the future to come, or has it lost all ability to be humorous as the one who hurts you cares very little that they did hurt you and likely only wants to avoid any painful consequences.  As Christians we are bound to still offer forgiveness.  But as humans how we feel about this slightly altered scenario might be quite a bit different.  At the end of the day we may still get over it, get past it.  But there is a certain part of us that would not mind seeing a little “justice” doled out with the forgiveness we offer.  A little just retribution, not severe mind you, as this was not a severe crime, but at least some form of cosmic karma, to the perpetrator who seems to care less about what they did.

Aren’t Christians supposed to be free from the need to pursue justice when forgiveness is our calling card.  Especially in light of the forgiveness we are shown by God when we sin in much the same manner.  Then let us examine the most severe case of something like this.  What happens when again the perpetrator is not family, but the crime is one that cannot be undone, and robs you of something you can never have again.  Perhaps they have taken the life of someone you love, or the fidelity of someone who vowed never to lose that to another.  Lives lost cannot be replaced.  Vows broken will always be broken.  And how the perpetrator feels about committing these crimes may be as sorry as the child who once stole your sandwich, or as callous as the office thief who tries to do it regularly.  Again as Christians we are bound to offer forgiveness.  But as humans, our pain drives us to want justice all the more.  So we rationalize our forgiveness in a case like this.  We can “forgive” but not “forget”.  We can try to move on, but with a hole in our hearts that can never be undone.  New lives albeit damaged lives.

And comes the riddle of emotional quandaries our hearts are unable to solve.  I have wronged a great many people over the course of my life.  And to an incident, and a person, I regret each one.  I carry a burden inside myself that no one else can see, of a sorrow for causing the pain I know I have caused.  If I could undo any one of these actions, or all of them, I would choose to undo them.  But that repentance comes only from Jesus who teaches me to not only want repentance, but to feel it, to understand that my evil causes pain like ripples in a quiet pond where a large stone is dropped.  At the time I may have chosen to be blind to my crimes, but in retrospect I feel them all keenly.  And there have been a great many people who have wronged me over my life.  But again in retrospect none of what they did to me matters, or is remembered as important, save two.  Two brothers who took from me, and more importantly from ones I deeply love, that which cannot be replaced or undone.  They have always remained incalcitrant.  And despite best efforts, my forgiveness has always been nested in feelings of a desire for retribution, sometimes as bad as an ultimate retribution.  And it would seem my Christianity stumbles in this regard.

I know I am supposed to get past it, like every other wrong or slight I cannot so much as remember or even think about in detail anymore.  But this pain is not isolated to me.  It infects those I love and I am victim of it, but also made to watch the suffering it causes in my closest circle.  Ripples of someone else’s stone thrown carelessly and by intent into the quiet pool of my life.  And so I have vacillated between trying hard to offer a real forgiveness, and trying harder not to take an ill-conceived vengeance of my own.  As if any amends I could force might make any difference at all; short making it all worse.  But God says vengeance belongs to Him.  I am content with that.  But must take my heart to Him, to lose the desire to see Him find vengeance on those who have caused so much pain in my world.  And in all of this I find it is not the intellectual mysteries or riddles of the world that confound me and plague me.  It is and has always been the emotional ones.  Then to see something I do not know how to even describe.

This week I learned that both brothers who I have contended in my heart with for so long have fallen to covid 19.  One is dead, after suffering for a very long time.  The other is in critical condition, also have suffered for a very long time, and his prognosis is the same as his brother.  And what is my first thought?  I should not speak it.  I should not think it.  The one is gone, my next hurtle is to not only forgive, but to learn to become neighbors in the kingdom of heaven no matter our past.  But that he is gone, I find myself not regretting.  And I know it is wrong.  The other is still not lost to the power of prayer.  But do I have the courage to offer a prayer for his recovery?  His crimes against my family are not the kind of crimes that limit themselves to only a singular victim, they tend to spread like cancer in the darkness across a wide number of families like mine.  If we pray him back, do we open pandora’s box of pain on other families for the remainder of his life on this world?  I have spent so long trying to forgive.  But now God offers me the chance to not only forgive, but to put aside my judgment, my fears, and be the Christian I am meant to be.  To trust God with his redemption, even if I am never made privy to it.

A riddle of my heart I cannot solve, or even understand.  But as always, my wife helps me through this quagmire and offers her own example of what to pray; not just for his physical recovery, but for his redemptive one, no matter his incalcitrance to this point in time.  And I find myself following her lead.  And I find myself entrusting my heart and my feelings to Jesus, asking not to solve the riddle of how I think or feel, or should feel.  Only that Jesus might alter my heart into the heart He wishes to make within me.  An altered heart, will find a better way to love, a more Christlike way to forgive, and a supreme interest in the redemption of those who wronged me, not in their torture, or death.  I should long for their company in heaven, not consign them to the fate I deserve in this life or the next.  And only Jesus can solve that riddle of how I feel, or think, or how I should feel.

It is when we think we know it all that God reminds us, we do not.  It is when we think we have perfect control of our feelings, that God reminds us our feelings should never be relied upon for anything.  For our minds are as dirty as our hearts and consequently our souls are.  And there is only One Jesus who offers to clean both mind and heart, and renew the soul within us.  So should I ever come to believe that I know it all, even in the confines of a single doctrine of my faith, I will have fallen into error.  For only Jesus knows it all.  Only Jesus truly understands all Truth.  I catch only mere glimpses of that Truth from time to time when I am not forcing my eyes shut, pretending all riddles are subject to my failing intellect that never knew it all in the first place.  Perhaps there are some riddles I am not meant to understand, because I meant to rely on Jesus and nothing about me to get past them.

Luke records Jesus offering a riddle to the proud members of the Sanhedrin trying to trap Jesus in a trick question.  Jesus simply uses their own traditions and incorrect beliefs to create a riddle none of them would be able to solve.  At least, not without discarding the error of their beliefs, and coming to see Jesus for what He truly is, their Messiah and ours.  Luke picks up this snippet at the end of the 20th chapter of his gospel letter to his friend about what we believe and why.  It begins in verse 41 saying … “And he said unto them, How say they that Christ is David's son? [verse 42] And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, [verse 43] Till I make thine enemies thy footstool. [verse 44] David therefore calleth him Lord, how is he then his son?  It was Jewish tradition that fathers would earn more respectable titles than sons.  And it was well known that the Messiah would be of the bloodline of David.  So the quandary Jesus proposes is that Christ was alive before David, and yet alive in the bloodline of David at the same time.  The Christ then, was the Son of God, not just a mortal Messiah, or mortal prophet as the people liked to see Him.  For He existed both before David and after him.

The leaders had no way to reconcile this without admitting that their understanding was not as complete as they thought.  And by the way, that Jesus may well be both the Messiah and the Son of God.  But it was not just the minds of these leaders that were in error.  Their hearts were as well.  Jesus continues with a warning about where their think had led them.  Luke picks back up in verse 45 saying … “Then in the audience of all the people he said unto his disciples, [verse 46] Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts; [verse 47] Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.  A pride in thinking they knew everything there was to know about scripture, had not increased their love for others.  It had nearly extinguished it.  Along with the conscience a true believer should have been haunted by if nothing else.  For these leaders had come to devour the homes of widow.  To take these homes, cast the widow out on to the street, and think nothing of her fate, or her condition.  If she died, she died.  That was nothing to them.

And I find my first responses may be no better than they.  I hear of the news of a brother who wronged me dying of covid and my ugly first unfiltered thought was “good”.  In that instant it was me who did not think of the widow he leaves behind, or the children who have just lost a father.  I only think of the threat he once posed to me, the pain he caused that cannot be undone, and that now somehow “justice” has finally been served.  And in that instant I am as wrong as the scribes in the days of Christ.  I repent of my first thought.  And I offer sincere prayers for the family.  I am ashamed of my reaction, and must now add it to the list of burdens I carry.  And while I know Jesus has forgiven me my entire list, I also know the pain I have caused can no more be undone than the pain this poor soul caused me.  This is not the vengeance of God.  Covid is not His instrument of judgment upon the wicked.  It is only a pestilence that both righteous and wicked suffer from alike.  The one difference, those who seek Jesus find Him.  Those who refuse to seek Jesus, do not.

If there is to be a vengeance of God it must come at the end of all things on those who refused to forsake evil for the re-creation Jesus would have made of them.  But while there is life there is hope.  And I must trust my own salvation to Jesus to complete, as the events of this week have taught me, it is not complete as yet.  The leaders of the Sanhedrin could not solve the riddle Jesus posed because they clung to errant thoughts they were unwilling to let go of.  Are we any better?  Do you find yourself stumped by the riddles of scripture, or a set of feeling you know in your heart you should not have?  There is only one solution to either situation.  Seek Jesus, allow Him to change how you think, how you love, perhaps even who you love.  And your mind and heart will become one with His, focused above all else on the redemption of the lost, not the punishing of them.  Think about it.  Even the warning Jesus made above was not offered as a final condemnation, but instead as a warning, of what happens when we refuse to yield and refuse to see.

Some riddles I am content to not know the answers to.  For example, how on earth will Jesus ever save someone in such need as me?  But I am also content to trust that despite my inability to figure out how Jesus will ever save me, Jesus will save me, because He knows how, and I intend to let Him.  Perhaps the riddles of your life are just as easily solved as that.  Give Jesus a try and see.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment