Friday, June 26, 2009

Vocal Minority ...


It is hard to over state the power of disruption.  Carrying a train of thought out to a logical conclusion, particularly if it is a new idea, or new way of examining an old subject, is difficult to accomplish in the best of conditions.  But just let a heckler decide to interrupt the proceedings and the progress comes to a crashing halt.  Worse yet, even if order can be restored, it becomes almost impossible to pick up where you left off, forcing either a repeat of the entire concept or the danger in skipping important points on the way to the conclusion.  It only takes a minority of one, to destroy the efforts of many, just one vocal minority.

I was reminded this week watching the news coverage of some of the home-town meetings on the topic of the upcoming Health Care reform efforts, how effective this method is in killing any real progress.  Not only does any point get lost in the shouting, a perception emerges that the loudest point must be the one shared by the most people.  Even though this is hardly ever true, the phrase “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” comes to mind.  In this case, the associated attention that gets centered on the hecklers becomes the prevailing perception of the feelings at the meeting.  Again false, but perception is a hard thing to kill.

I guess it would be O.K., if this sort of thing only occurred in political circles, on political topics where public interest were at stake.  Unfortunately this is not the only venue where these tactics are employed successfully.  I learned from personal experience they can be deployed in church.  Our local church “Central SDA” in Orlando Florida was suffering from an aging population, declining membership, and associated decline in revenue.  Since I was not terribly busy at the time, I decided to write a detailed strategy document on how to turn our trends around.  It was a 35 page fully illustrated strategy document that was embraced by the Pastor, Head Elder, and Head Deacon right away.  The full church board and Ministry leaders then embraced it, and it was recommended for general adoption at a general church business meeting.  I was unaware that these meetings even existed, but nonetheless presented my fully developed PowerPoint presentation as I would have at any of my other board-room style presentations to the general membership of the church.

I have done this kind of thing throughout my career at many client companies.  I was happy this time that my personal business skills could be used in a religious setting to help my local church out.  I know enough how to divert questions and interruptions until the end of my presentations.  But then came the Q&A, and the heckling commenced.  Now I don’t mind at all competing ideas, or arguments over the relevance or effectiveness of a recommendation that I make.  I believe that ideas improve when debated, or discussed from differing perspectives.  I have always had highly diverse executives reporting to me that I believe has increased the quality of the tasks we set out to accomplish.  I assumed this would be no different.  After all this is my “church family”.  I am donating my time, skills, and expenses.  These people are supposed to love me and each other right?  Aaaa … but thank you for playing.

It was not that my ideas were debated for being effective or for relevance.  It was my character under assault.  Somehow an older member of the church who has never even spoken to me, decided I was doing this for selfish reasons – as if I was going to receive a percentage of the increase in our revenues as a church.  I was not, never even entered my mind.  Another member decided my entire document was an apostacy and that I was a blasphemer.  By the way, this member was only in attendance to dispute my document, he never actually attended church here in over 3 years.  And of course, he had never met me, or even talked to me prior to the evening of this presentation.  The spiritual basis for his claims of my evil was based in my call for “tolerance” of the styles of worship that the vast majority of people prefer in the U.S.  (i.e. we should not condemn others simply because we do not care for their style of music, style of worship, etc.).  I was stunned.

In retrospect it is easy to see that the singular personal attacks I endured (without fighting back as I believe this is no venue for it), were from only a very vocal minority.  There were in point of fact only 5 members who decided I was Satan incarnate for my efforts to grow our church.  They had no competing set of ideas.  They only wanted to have total control, without any clue or plan of what to do with it.  Suggesting otherwise by anyone, would have resulted in the same vitriol.  The other 90 people in attendance were far more accepting.  In fact, the vote to approve the plan was over 95% positive.  Despite this, and despite my personal attempts to speak with the disgruntled, the nay’s were undeterred in their efforts to poison what our entire church purposed to do.  Had I been in one of the companies I have managed, I would fired the negativity folks immediately.  There is no room for those determined to see a business fail rather than embrace change in the business world.  But this was God’s house.  He wants everyone, even the stubborn ones, even the wrong ones, even the mean ones, even me …

Heckler’s can destroy the progress of communication.  But nay-sayers can only poison & delay the work, when the work is for the Lord they cannot kill it completely.  Our church grew by over 75 new members in a single year, almost doubling our prior year’s regular attendance.  Our revenues increased, we started new ministries to serve the community, our aging population, and our youth.  We opened a Spanish language ministry still in existence today.  We remodeled and renovated some areas of the church.  In short we grew.  But at each church business meeting, a vocal minority would speak out and criticize our efforts to feed the homeless (“they are nothing but pan-handlers anyway begging for money for drugs and their million dollar homes” … an actual quote by the female head of one of our key ministries for the poor if you can believe that).  They would criticize our music.  Though during the service, even our DVD based music performances would get hearty Amen’s from the congregation – where most of the members loved what we did.

It was really only about the same 5 people who hated everything.  They would not leave the church to find another one, as this would mean admitting defeat to them.  Instead they plotted a take-over.  Here is where the disconnects are so large they hard to comprehend.  I took a leadership role in our church only to help it grow, and because I was the only one who could at the start.  I had no intentions of remaining in charge, nor any desire to remain as a leader.  I served because I felt I must.  But I was eager to put another person in my place and allow me the rest of the lack of the limelight.  But the vocal minority had no idea I thought this way.  Because they craved power, they assumed I must as well.  Had they known I was eager to give it away they could have plotted better than they did.

They moved after covertly gathering intelligence they believed they could use against me.  The information they had was illegally taken, incomplete, and therefore mistaken.  But it mattered not.  I could see what they were doing, and I could see further they were positioning me to fight back and cause the church to split.  But I would not.  Instead I resigned quietly, and cleared my name and reputation with the pastor, and with our conference who had now been called in on what they believed was a scandal.  It really was not.  My quiet enemies acted on incomplete accounting information gathered before month end, without the full set of data.  Auditors established I did nothing wrong and in fact were impressed by how well we had managed our finances.  The conference president and our pastor backed me completely in this.  Yet I was resigning quietly to avoid positioning the church for a split.

I failed.  In one of our last board meetings with me still in office, I was ambushed by one of the five with this mis-information.  His hatred for me was so obvious, and so determined, and so pointed, that he literally turned the entire board angry with him.  Regardless of my actions, the church was positioned to split anyway.  Now the vocal minority set about attempting to paint perceptions as reality, and gain support among the members.  But they failed.  Those that saw what happened to me, realized that I had only ever told the truth.  Those that had been deceived by the hateful minority became genuinely sorry they ever even thought that way, and have since become some of my closest friends.  The church lost 3 of the 5 members that determined to take control.  And again, even though in reality the church did not actually split, the level of noise associated with all this, and the loudness of the vocal minority made it feel as though it had split.

It is always easier to criticize than to create.  It is always easier to tear-down than to build-up.  When I look around me at what goes on in our country, and unfortunately even in the walls of our church, I fear that the vocal minority is drowning out the message of the more tolerant and sane majority.  I have lived through a most unpleasant experience caused by so few, along with the silence of so many.  Had the majority been as vocal as the minority, there would have been no conflict.  But silence amounts to passive consent.  And if we remain silent too long in the face of vocal insanity, we reap the actions of the insane.  I think better to speak out, and speak up in love, and let love have a voice again …

No comments:

Post a Comment