Friday, May 15, 2020

Living in the Hand of God ...

I have to admit, I am spoiled rotten.  No, not talking about being the firstborn of my father, or being the only child of my mother.  I am talking about how my God Jesus Christ, treats me.  Not what He did for me all those years ago at Calvary, but what He does for me right now, throughout the course of my life.  Let me offer just one example; finding a parking spot.  These days I need and have the blue disability placard, so you would think finding a parking spot would always be a thing of ease.  It’s not, at least not because of the blue card.  But finding parking is not something I have ever had to worry about in all the years I have been driving. 
My God’s love for me is so thorough, and unique, that He showers me with blessings I don’t really even need.  Whenever I used to go out (pre-covid), anywhere I go, whenever I arrive, there is ALWAYS someone else pulling out of a parking spot just as I pull up, allowing me to park close to the entrance, without having to circle around endlessly looking for somewhere to park at all.  The place can be packed, but I never worry about it.  When I get there, I park.  Almost immediately, nearly always up front, with no wait, no fuss, no worry.  In fact, having the disability placard now, I often find those spots are already full, but for me this is still not a problem.  Now you could say I have “good luck”.  Getting this to happen even more than not, would be good luck.  But every time?  That is a statistical anomaly that is quite frankly, impossible.  But it is also my life’s experience, for decades and decades.  I’m sure there are some that will just call me liar on this, as it sounds just too impossible to be true.  And I would agree that it is indeed impossible; that is how I know every time it happens, it is that real-world manifestation of Jesus’ love for me, that no other explanation would satisfy.  Since I have lived this, I know it to be true.  His love is more generous than my need.
But who cares about parking spots, that is trivial in the scheme of things.  OK, so let’s talk about food, housing, and employment.  I am also, let’s see how should I put this; far from skinny.  I used to be skinny when I was growing up.  My metabolism was so fast, I could consume 2 large pan pizza’s at Pizza Hut all by myself and not even feel full.  Never gain an ounce of weight.  Now if I “look” at pizza, I feel myself putting on the pounds.  So there’s that.  But heavy people like me don’t reflect a steady lack of food, they reflect a steady abundance of it.  At this age, if I eat two meals a day, I gain weight, plain and simple.  If I eat one meal a day, I maintain or lose weight.  So one glance at me, and you realize I don’t go too many days where I eat nothing at all.  In fact, I cannot remember a day when I had nothing to eat at all.  I have been hungry, but there was always something around to eat.  Who do I credit with feeding me my whole life?  You guessed it, Jesus does.  Not just beans and rice, or bread and water, but full on nutritious meals with fresh vegetables, fruits (that I largely ignore), and meats (of the clean variety).  To eat your entire life, to know your children never missed a meal, is not an accident, or a stroke of luck, or even the result of hard work – it is Jesus, and He alone.
But eating and driving can’t happen without funding right?  So where does the money come from, and has it always been around.  Quick answer, No.  Money has not always been around.  When it was around, it was from employment (and blessings).  You would think I have always worked and done fairly well.  But that isn’t quite right either.  I have worked, from the lowest paid positions everyone can identify with, to the top of the food chain (so to speak).  I have made just over minimum wage to earning mid-six-figures in a single year.  One year, I made more than a million dollars (with stock options I cashed in); and at the opposite extreme I once had no money at all.  So while I have always seemed to find “good” positions.  Do you imagine for a minute that was me?  It’s not.  It was my Jesus holding me in the palm of His hand, whether rich in the eyes of men, or so dirt poor I should have been homeless.  Still always finding rest under a roof (I would never earn, or deserve, but be gifted).  In summary, the care of me, of my family, has always been accomplished by the same Jesus, I call Lord.  Though I am not a righteous man, still He has never forsaken me, and gathers me under His wings, and provides for my every need, then exceeds my needs with blessings too great to count.  This has been the experience of my life.  It is my testimony, but in spiritual matters, there is so much more to tell.
However it is your life that Jesus was interested in talking about so so many years ago.  Luke records the very words of Jesus Himself in matters of how God feels about you, and about what God is offering you for the taking, and the trusting.  It picks up in chapter 12 of Luke’s letter beginning in verse 22 saying … “And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. [verse 23] The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.”  Take no thought.  Imagine that for a minute.  Jesus offers you and I a way to live that is completely without worry and completely full of trust.  Food is on the menu.  Clothing will be on your body.  For your life is worth more than any food, and your body worth more than any clothing.  So why would Jesus tell you, not to worry about these key ingredients of survival?  Because your life, your survival is in the palm of His hand.  And your death, when or if it ever comes, is but a momentary nap in the timespan of eternity.  You will wake from it as if no time has passed, and your life from that moment forward will continue to be in the same palm it always was.  Throughout the eons of time, it is God, that will guard your life.  It is God that will enable your life, your food, and your clothing (even if made out of light from then on).  God taking care of you is not supposed to be a foreign concept, it is supposed to be both real, and everlasting.
Jesus continues in verse 24 saying … “Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?”  Then Jesus gives us a tangible example of this.  Think about how all of creation survives.  Do you think it is an accident?  No, it is ordered.  The mechanisms are largely known to us.  But that says nothing of the care.  When you encounter a small bird, or animal in distress, crying and in pain – what is your response?  Do you walk away thinking to yourself, well who cares about that bird, or small creature?  Or rather, is your heart moved, and you want to help, even if you don’t know exactly how to help.  If you and I who are far from perfect can still care about the creatures in our lives, how much more can our God in heaven, our very Father, feel more intensely about us.  He does not wait for us to be in pain.  He tries to help us learn how to avoid all pain.  He knows we get hungry.  He made us that way.  He knows birds need to eat, and He also knows you and I do too.  (Me probably a little less in that regard).  So He takes measures to see that we eat.  Offering us choices in the process.  Offering us the gift of taste in the process.  Offering us the means to eat for at least today.  And when you think about it, today’s meal, this meal, is all I really need.  Tomorrow, I can trust to Him, will take care of itself.
Jesus continues in verse 25 saying … “And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? [verse 26] If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?”  And here is the difference in how we think and what our limitations are, and how God thinks who knows no limitations at all.  Jesus asks us, if we are unable to make ourselves taller, why do we worry about the rest of our lives.  Growing taller is so incredibly easy from God’s perspective.  But God did not intend a world full of giants, nor a world full of the opposite of that.  The same God who makes the elephants, also makes the ants.  God enjoys diversity, even though He could have made every creature the same size if He wanted to.  He didn’t.  He wanted differences in every one of our characteristics, and personalities.  And He wants to know each of us in as unique a manner as we are unique from each other.  What is common between you and I, is that God loves each of us so much, He would lay down His very life, to see us reconciled to Himself.  If He loves you and I that much, why are sweating the small stuff?
Jesus continues again in verse 27 saying … “Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. [verse 28] If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?”  Then Jesus takes it up a notch.  Jesus introduces us to the idea of beauty.  The flowers, lilies that is, are beautiful.  If you ask me, every flower is beautiful.  But why?  Green grass is sufficient to cover the ground.  You don’t “need” flowers in nature.  If they never existed we would be missing out on tremendous beauty.  But they do exist.  Not just for God’s enjoyment, but for ours.  God made that beauty for us to enjoy.  He wants you to smell them.  To see them, even though they may not last very long.  While they do, they are incredible.  In the eyes of Jesus, you are that beauty.  How you are adorned, is not just in the bare necessities, but in God’s ideas of beauty.  It could be very simple, or very elegant.  But you are beauty that God sees (not so much what you are wearing).
Jesus continues in verse 29 saying … “And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. [verse 30] For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. [verse 31] But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.”  With a singular purpose of mind, to seek our Lord Jesus Christ, in everything we think about, in how we love each other, in what our feet take us to do – let that occupy our minds.  And our God will sweat the small stuff for us.  I have learned not to worry about food, or shelter, or parking.  Cause Jesus always provides that stuff.  Not because I beg Him to.  And not just the bare minimum for me to survive.  But huge abundant gifts, so large, I barely have capacity to receive them.  Because it pleases Him to love me like that.  And I am no special child of His, I am just like you in that regard in every way.  Taking the stress out of life, is an awesome experience to live through.  Its not to say everything is always peachy.  But it is to say even in the thunderstorms, God still holds you right in the palm of His hand.
So taking care of us is squarely the duty, the responsibility, and the pleasure of our heavenly Father.  It is He who preserves our lives and makes them interesting (in good ways).  But what about our salvation?  Even if I do not worry about eating, shouldn’t I be worrying about getting rid of all this crap in my life?  Jesus concludes with a simple verse to sum up that area of your life as well.  Jesus continues in verse 32 saying … “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”  You are not saved because you earn it.  Or based on what you do, or think you do.  You are saved because it is the Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom.  Jesus starts that very thought out with the specific admonition – “Fear not”.  Stop worrying and trust.  If you want to do something, then trust.  If you are not content to do nothing, then trust.  Trust Jesus to save you.  Trust Him to change how you think, what you want, and therefore what you do.  Trust Jesus to change how you love others.  That is the very basis of salvation.  It is way more important than parking spots, but no less, an evidence of His love.  What Jesus does for you on your journey to His Kingdom, is not an accident, it is by the very intent of His Father.  Saving you makes God the Father happy.  Imagine that, a happy God, from cleaning up the mess of your life.  Not an angry God, or vengeful God, or God who cant wait to judge you – but a God who has already judged you, condemned your sin, paid the price of your sentence Himself, and is now HAPPY to see you saved and reconciled back to Himself.  Happy about it.  So if our God is happy about saving you, why do you keep sweating the small stuff?  Why don’t you open up the happy valve, and join your God?  He’s waiting.  And He is happy about it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment