Friday, August 21, 2009

Race, Culture, & Religion (part 2 of 3) ...


Embracing diversity seems like an easy enough answer to develop unity within the Christian community, so why hasn’t it happened already?  Why does it continue to be so elusive?  Are we really so enslaved to our cultural preferences that we are incapable of learning new behavior, or appreciating something outside of our norms?  Why does voluntary segregation persist when mandatory segregation has been outlawed so long ago?

Separate but equal?  How do I equate the value of one worship style to another.  What is it about worship that reaches the core of who you are and blesses you.  This is where differences really begin to matter.  To say that all “black” churches are alike is every bit as foolish as assuming all “white” churches worship the same way.  There are degrees of variation along common themes.  But these little variations are enough to segregate membership by choice. 

For instance, there are many churches who enjoy the practice of “worship” music.  This sub-genre of Christian music tends to have repetitive verses, simple themes, and is usually sung with many instruments including guitars, drums, sometimes a saxophone or two.  It is generally lively, heartfelt, and has become so common, many professional Christian recording artists release a “worship” album even if this is not their natural style.  You know it when you see it.  However, there still exist today, more culturally conservative churches that “frown” on contemporary music.  For them, only hymns or classical offerings are preferred.  Drums or electric guitars are not even permitted in the building, let alone tolerated in the forefront of a service.  A person visiting both of these styles of churches would walk away with radically different experiences (in style).

But what is important to the worshipper?  Is it the style?  What if one of these churches was filled with people who genuinely loved you.  I am not talking about Jesus-freaks that pledge their love to you on a whim, and follow it up with only more empty words.  Nor am I talking about people screaming out messages of “love” to those contemplating abortion outside of a clinic or two.  I am talking about genuine Christians who are really connected with Christ.  People who are able to overlook your imperfections and love you right where you are, right how you are.  People who will not participate in your sin, nor will they judge you for it.  They simply care about you, pray for you, talk to you, and be there for you consistently.  The kind of crowd you could ask to help you move apartments, and 50 people would show up without a second request.  Yup, those kind of people, REAL Christians.  What if this is what you encountered when walking through the doors of the sanctuary?  Would it change your perceptions about the value of style?

And in truth, are not we all seeking to find this group of people?  Don’t we long to hang out with them?  And isn’t it sad that we cannot find them.  Might be that because we don’t see them in the mirror, we don’t see them in the aisles and on the pews.  But Love is the base common denominator of all churches purporting to follow Christ.  And isn’t it interesting that no worship “style” has yet to produce a congregation of our mythical lofty aspirations.  There may be a church like this somewhere, but I doubt “worship” music or traditional “hymns” are the reason it flourishes.  No, it is the Love that is distinct.  The sermons become incidental, as the life of its members do the testifying.  The music is silent, when it is unconditional Love that reaches out to each human heart, bonds us, brings us before the throne in humility.  When REAL worship is present, style matters almost for nothing at all.

So why has style kept us so separate for so long, when in truth it is so unimportant?  Distraction.  Evil diverts our minds from truth and substance by focusing our attention on delivery, wording, and sour notes.  We fail to exhibit the unconditional Love we seek, because we are too distracted by the clapping of hands, stomping of feet, or tone of the preacher.  We sit sedate in our pews, being quiet, when we should be weeping aloud for the pain of the neighbor who sits immediately to our right.  But we hold our tears and our tongues, and fail to even take interest in our neighbor’s pain.  Or we get so wrapped up in the joy of the Spirit that we forget not only our own troubles, but those of our neighbor who for the moment seems to have forgotten his.  In either case, through unbridled expressions of joy, or quiet (and therefore “reverent”) complacent disinterest, we ignore completely the life of our neighbor to our immediate right. 

Congregations grow large and impersonal.  We are able to safely mask our pain, and hide in the vast numbers of those who sit near us in church.  And in so doing style helps us not at all.  Ambivalence has replaced Love as our common denominator.  Self interest has replaced self-less-ness in service.  And the delivery method holds all of our attention, rather than the content of what is being delivered.  We begin to cling to cherished traditions ignoring completely the true “temperature” of our church and ourselves.  It is we who are the problem.  It is we who hold our wisdom of choices, and preferences in the style of worship in such high regard that we have no NEED to seek out anything different – especially in ourselves.  It is we who choose this pattern.  It is we.

I am white.  But I yearn for; no, even stronger stated; I am in desperate NEED of, the emotional commitment of my black brothers and sisters in the faith who fear not to show the world what they feel about their Lord.  I must learn to open my mouth and let His praise flow out.  I must follow the example of my brothers of another culture and learn to be Loud for the Lord.  I have come to truly enjoy the music of every Christian culture, ethnicity, genre, and background.  I must take what I have found in music, and apply it to preaching, teaching, and service. 

I am white.  But I yearn for, and desire more than I can communicate, the sense of community that my Hispanic brothers and sisters in the faith have developed.  That sense of family that is SO gracious to accept me, and my lack of language skills, and treat me as if I were born of their blood line, not just as the adopted child I truly am.  I must unlearn my sense of independence and self-reliance and instead begin to look at my brothers and sisters as the family they have truly chosen to be, my family.  I must honor their choice and acceptance by returning it completely without pause, hesitation, or self-consideration.

I am white.  But I long to find myself the simple humble servant that many of my Asian brothers and sisters set so wonderful an example of in my journey.  I must learn to keep my need for recognition and gratitude completely subjected, and allow my service for others to be its own reward.  I must learn NOT to seek attention, but be content with honorable service and performance of even the simplest of the tasks set in front of me.  I aspire to become more than I am, and my Asian brothers and sisters have helped me along the way.  I see the differences in me through them, and I realize how far from the Kingdom I truly am.

When you stop looking and focusing so much on the style, and start searching for the meaning in the differences, it does not take long to learn to appreciate your brethren of other cultures.  When you are able to forego the notion of cultural superiority and adopt the truth of cultural humility you can begin to see truth all around you.  It is evil that keeps us so focused on differences as being the source of problems, rather than a method of finding truth.  It is evil that raises the idea that everything you need to know, can be found in one church, in one congregation, in one style of worship.  God is bigger than that.  God is better than that.  He can be found outside the walls you erect to separate you from others.  He can be found in the basic expression of unconditional Love for another.  He can be found in every “black” church in America, or the world.  He can be found in every “white” church, every “Hispanic” church, every “Asian” church.  It is not the buildings that contain our God.  It is the hearts of His believers.

If we, are the reason for the voluntary segregation of our religious culture and style of worship, then “we” must end the problem in ourselves first.  We must take our pride, our traditions, and our preferences themselves to God and in humility accept His changes in us.  We will be better off because of it.  But it begins with a recognition that this problem is not in the hearts of others so much as it lays in our own hearts.  We must ask God to begin by changing us, not others.  And only then can we begin to see over our differences, and become one church united under the banner of Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment